When Surprise Motion Is Necessary, by Pastor Samuel Obafaiye
Nothing in life is stationary. Things are always moving. It either the movement is forward or backward. The beginning of moving backward is stagnancy. If one is in a class that they were last year, it is backward movement. They will need double effort or double grace to cover lost ground.
You have heard how it has always been said that ‘slow and steady win the race’. I don’t totally agree. While the person that is slow and steady will complete the race, he or she may not be the winner.
Having said that, you must also have heard how it has been said that the fastest person may not necessarily win a race, neither is the most skilful person complete a task nor the most intelligent student have the best result.
The best motion goes to whom the day has chosen to favour the most (Eccl. 9:11).
So that advancement or motion is not necessarily based on human desire, will, efforts or strength; but the permission of God (Rom. 9:16).
The bible enjoins us to be diligent at whatever we do; our society encourages us to be hardworking; and even nature teaches us that it is the fittest that survives. However, if anyone wants to experience a surprise move in their life; total reliant on God is very necessary.
So that beyond all human preparation, strategy and tactics (which are good); to be able to emerge as an outstanding winner requires the hand of God upon one’s life or the help of the Most High God.
As believers, it is by the grace of God we are not consumed. So that our protection, provision is guaranteed by Him. However, it is still possible that one is yet to experience the move of God in certain areas of one’s life. God wants us to continually ask, knock and seek until our joy is full.
Some of the things that God wants for us in life is to progress, be prosperous, be in good health, have good success, grow, have dominion, become a blazing light, etc. If one is experiencing a drag in any of these parameters, it is necessary to cry unto God for a surprise motion in that area.
Let’s consider few instances when a surprise motion is needed:
1. You are on a crucial journey and discouragement has set in. You have embarked on the journey that is very crucial to your destiny, something unexpected happened along the way, you are now discourage. There is a great tendency that you might go back, if surprise motion did not take place.
Abraham had already been told by God to leave his father’s house, his kindred and nation and proceed to a place he will be given as an inheritance. Abraham left and took his father and nephew along. When they got to Haran, something Abraham had not expected happened. His father died. This must have been very discouraging and disheartening for him. What will happen now? Should he bury his father in Haran? Should he take his father’s corpse back home to the Ur of Chaldees? Should he embalm the corpse and take it along on the journey, how long will this last in hot dessert? Very depressing. (Gen 11: 31-32).
Genesis 11:31-32 – And Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the son of Haran his son’s son, and Sarai his daughter in law, his son Abram’s wife; and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees, to go into the land of Canaan; and they came unto Haran, and dwelt there. And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years:and Terah died in Haran.
Abraham however remembered the instruction of God again and prompted him to set off from Haran towards the Promised Land and not backward or stationary where his father’s grave was (Gen 12:1-5).
Genesis 12:5 – And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother’s son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.
– You are on a crucial journey of your destiny and something just happened that has brought you great discouragement. You are presently confused on what to do. Don’t give up and don’t go back. What you need is the dunamis for a surprised motion, may God bestow that on you in Jesus name.
2. When you are been subjected to mockery. One of the things that is painful to bear in life is to be mocked, scorned or ridiculed about what you know you have invested your very best and possibly your all. It can lead to despair, depression and outright failure.
Nehemiah left Persia to rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem. It was a difficult and dangerous decision. He travelled through a dangerous terrain to get there. It wouldn’t have been easy to convince and persuade the remnant of the people to agree that the job was doable.
The size of the wall was 2 miles long; 40 feet high and 8 feet wide. There were 34 watchtowers, 7 main gates and 2 other smaller gates. The speed and zeal at which the people were working was enormous. It was a huge project.
The last thing Nehemiah and the people needed was mockery. But Sanballat and Tobias who were principal figures in the region began to mock the builders instead of encouraging them (Neh. 4:1-5).
God granted Nehemiah and his people surprise motion so that the huge project was completed in 52 days! In their time and age, that was an unimaginable progress.
– Are you been subjected to mockery and ridicule regarding a job, project or a course of study you have embarked upon? May God fastrack your progress and silence the mouth of everyone who has ridicule you till now in Jesus name.
3. When your life is under the attack from powers of darkness. The bible makes us to know that the fight against the powers of darkness is not an easy one like physical fighting. We will need to put on the whole armour of God and rely on His Spirit.
After Elijah’s victory at Mount Carmel, the power of darkness began to haunt his life. He ran into the wilderness and ask God to terminate His life. On the contrary, God fed him with supernatural meal that propelled him on a surprised motion.
With the food he ate, he was able to embark on a 80 days round trip. He later received impartation to confront the very powers that had threatened his life (1 Kings 19:1-21).
– If you are here and your life is under the attack from powers of darkness, today may God grant you a surprised motion that supersede the reach of those powers in Jesus name.
May God feed you with a supernatural meal that will sustain you for a long time to come.
4. When it appears that you are too old to achieve anything remarkable again. In life, certain occurrences are attributable to age. So that when that age is exceeded, there is a general notion that such a feat cannot happen again. But a surprised motion can make anything happen at anytime.
Moses at the prime age of 40 tried to safe Israel from the hand of the Egyptians. He failed. He had to flee into the wilderness. For the next 40 years, he was working for his father in-law. A deliverer became a herdsman. At the age of 80 years, he would have thought there can’t be anything special for him in life again.
It was actually then that God surprised him with a surprise motion for the next 40 years that made him look like a human god.
– There is someone here, you are concerned about your age. As Moses would have sat with the animals in the wilderness and thought ‘is this how it’s over for me’? You seldom sit and think ‘so this is how things have turned out to be for me in life’.
Today, God will grant you a surprised motion that will kick start the plan of God for you afresh.
May what you accomplish from now be more than what you have accomplished before.
5. When people’s action have made you to lose considerable amount of time. Time is very precious. When time is gone, it’s gone. It is possible that one might be doing everything possible in their power to save time, only for people to waste it for them.
Joseph was growing up in his father’s house as a dutiful son, only for his brothers to concoct a plan that wasted 13 years of his life. At the end of those 13 years that appeared to have been wasted, the surprised motion he got was unimaginable.
– I’m not sure who had wasted your valuable time. Could it be your parents, siblings, partner, spouse, teachers, employers or the government?
May God grant you a move that will propel you beyond where you should have been in Jesus name.
6. When it appears that life is not just fair to you. You need the hand of God to reassure you that you are not alone.
In Judges 11:1-4, the bibles make us to know that Jephtar was born into an influential family. He was meant to be a honourable fellow in life. But because his mother was a harlot, when the children of the proper wives of their father grew up, Jephtar was thrown out and disinherited. Life was not fair to him, there was no way he could have chosen his own mother before he was born.
God however granted him a surprised motion. He ruled and reigned over his half brothers and the whole nation for years!
– Is life treating you unfairly? Things you have no power over are been used to judge you wrongly? What you need is the hand of God to come upon you. Those who had judged you negatively will now be judged by you.
7. When you are pressed for time to execute a crucial task. We set deadlines for things to be done. Sometimes we leave those things to the last minute, so that if they cross the deadline, the result may be damning. So it is better to get it done before the deadline is over, at such brink of time, surprise motion is necessary.
In Joshua 10:5-14, Joshua was fighting a crucial battle with 5 kings. The enemy were so many and very armed. The hand of God was upon Joshua though, so that he was defeating the enemy, but there was a problem, night was fast approaching.
If the fight was to continue in the morning, the enemy will regroup and reinforce, and will pose a bigger threat.
So Joshua prayed that the sun and moon would stand still until the battle would be over. God granted his request, so that none of their enemies could escape.
-.Are you pressed for time to execute a task? Your essay, assignment, thesis, group project, business, building, career related task, etc?
May God suspend time for you. May He grant you a total and successful completion in Jesus name.
Father, do not allow discouragement to slow my movement in life.
Father, take away the effect of mockery from my advancement in life.
Father, cut the hands of the powers of darkness from my progress in life.
Father, do not allow my age to stand against my furtherance in life.
Father, let the time I’ve lost because of people’s action be restored surprisingly
Father, let life favour me.
Father, make time to be on my side and not against me.
The sermon, When Surprise Motion Is Necessary, by Pastor Samuel Obafaiye was delivered on January 29, 2017