John 3 vs 16: The key word in this verse is Believe i.e when you believe you will have everlasting life.
What are we to believe? We are to believe the gospel as stated in 1cor 15 vs 1-4, Rom 10 vs 8-10.
Salvation is believing and confessing the gospel which is the death burial and resurrection of Jesus.
At the point of salvation, the moment we believe we become children of God, we have the nature of God, we are called Sons of God. (1 John 3 vs 2a, Gal 3 vs 26, John 1 vs 12)
At salvation, we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Gal 4 vs 6: And because ye are sons, God has sent forth the spirit of his sons into your hearts crying ‘Abba Father’.
Eph 1 vs 13: In whom ye trusted after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. In whom also having believed, you were sealed with the holy spirit of promise.
Facts about Tongues:
- It is a sign among believers: Mark 16 vs 17
- The moment you believe you can speak Act 10 vs 44-46
- It is never addressed to men but God 1cor 14 vs 2, Isa 28 vs 11
- Our spirit prays when we pray in Tongues 1cor 14 vs 14
Why do we pray in Tongues?
- The scriptures admonish us to pray always and then in the spirit 1Thes 5 vs 17, Eph 6 vs 18
- For edification 1cor 14 vs 4, Jude 1 vs 20, 1cor 14 vs 26
- Praying in tongue gives us boldness and helps us to be effective in the work of the ministry Act 2 vs 1-41
In conclusion. As believers we are encouraged to pray Eph. 6:18 and sing always in the spirit 1cor 14 vs 15 Eph 5 vs 18-19 to worship our God. This is a gift of the spirit that we have received the moment we received the gospel.
The sermon, Tongue, by Sister Oluwabunmi Oliyide, was delivered on the occasion of the Special New Workers/Talent Service on November 18, 2018.