The test of being faithful, by Pastor Samuel Obafaiye
1 Corinthians 4:1-2 – Let a man so account of us, as of servants of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
Paul was telling the Corinthians that though they are called apostles, teachers, prophets, evangelist, and pastors. It is better we are seen as servants and stewards.
Who is a servant? – Someone who performs duties for others.
Who is a steward? – A person that look after another’s property.
We too call ourselves workers and ministers. But who are we really? Essentially we are servants and stewards. We come here to perform duties to serve others. We are also looking after the temple and the gospel of Christ.
What does God demand of us?
Many books and preachers try to teach us on to be a successful spouse, Christian, worker, minister, pastor, etc. Rarely are there any which teaches on how to be a faithful spouse, Christian, worker, minster, pastor, etc.
Interestingly, God is interested in us been faithful rather than been successful. This is because in faithfulness, we achieve success. I found out that in the Bible, there are 101 times the words faithful or faithfulness is used. But only 3 times the word success, succeed or successful is used. This again tells us that God is placing more emphasis on faithfulness rather than success.
What can make a steward unfaithful?
– Pride (expecting to be served rather than wanting to serve).
– Eye service
– Indolence (time, malingering)
– Misuse of resources (anyhow use, is it not church thing attitude)
– Joining unfaithful association (in every human societies people seek to belong, belonging to an unfaithful group will make you unfaithful)
– Forgetting that Christ is coming soon (the attitude of I will change at a later date, or it doesn’t really matter)
Other words for faithful which should be our watch word.
Trustworthy – Does God have complete trust and confidence in you? Are people able to trust you?
Responsible – Are you responsible to God, people over you, those under you, to yourself, with your talents?
Persistent – Do you easily quit? Quick to be offended?
Obedient – Are you able to obey simple instruction? (Go ye and preach; Bring all your tithe?)
How do you want to be perceived in 2015? Within the church and outside the church? By man and by God? Will it be as a faithful servant or an unfaithful servant? The decision is yours.
– An excerpt of an exhortation delivered by Pastor Samuel Obafaiye at the Workers’ Meeting on Sunday 4th, 2015