May God Upgrade Your Life In An Amazing Way, by Pastor Samuel Obafaiye
What is upgrade?
– Raise something to a higher standard. (Class).
– Increase the capacity of something by adding or replacing some components. (Memory)
– Give a person a more important job than what they were doing before. (Supervisor)
– Removing something from a critical state to a better condition. (A patient)
– Making a new version or improved model of a thing. (Mobile Phone).
– An upward inclination or slope uphill. (Graphs)
– To raise the importance, value or the esteem of something. (Airport).
In this part of the world, we certainly understand the concept of upgrade very well. We do house upgrade, cars, equipment, phones and even software.
Some of us have mobile phone contracts that we upgrade like every two years. So we actually know when we are due for an upgrade.
However, there are certain upgrades that beat one’s imagination and preparedness that blows your mind away and as such become amazing types.
For example, in one of my journeys to a Conference in London, I had made my hotel reservation for a double room, only to get there to find out that I have been upgraded to a king size for free. It was a surprise for me, as I didn’t pay for such. Not only the room, but all the treatment fit for a king.
– In this year 2017, may God blow your mind away. May God surprise you for good.
On another occasion, a friend from Nigeria was shock to see me in London as that must have been an amazing upgrade to see me in UK based on what he knew about me.
We were roommates in the university in 1992. They always talked of London…
When he saw me in London in 1999, he couldn’t believe it.
– May your life surprise those who had known you before.
– In 7 years from now, may those who had known you before open their mouth in disbelief.
King David is one of the people in the bible that enjoyed amazing upgrade. David was the last of 8 sons of Jesse. With that kind of position in the family, he was to be the errand boy. However, not too long, God promoted him before his 7 brothers, so that he became a regular visitor to the king’s palace and the king’s armour bearer.
He later became the captain over his elder brothers, some member of his clan and about 400 people (I Sam. 22:1-2).
– This year 2017, I see God upgrading some of us to captain of hundreds and commander of companies. If want to belong to that category, shout a bigger amen.
– There is someone here, in your father’s house; you will no longer be relegated. In your clan, you will be highly esteemed. In your locality, you will become an honourable fellow.
There is a saying which says, “Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown”. David went through tough time in order to become the king of Israel, but the tough times didn’t last forever.
The greatest enemy to his coronation was King Saul, who was killed with the Philistines.
I decree that every Saul that is not allowing you to reach your Divine potential will meet its downfall today in Jesus name.
To them, it will be how are the mighty fallen, while to you it will be how are the lowly upgraded in Jesus name.
– unfortunate for Saul, he was destroyed on Mount Gilboa, this is Mount Zion, every power chasing you from your throne will be destroyed right now in Jesus name.
After Saul’s death, David inquired of The Lord whether he should go into any city of Judah, God said yes. David further inquire which of the cities should he go to and God said Hebron. It was while he was staying in Hebron that the men of Judah came to him and anointed him king of Judah (2 Sam. 2:1-4). What an amazing upgrade!
2 Samuel 2:1-4
And it came to pass after this, that David enquired of the Lord, saying, Shall I go up into any of the cities of Judah? And the Lord said unto him, Go up. And David said, Whither shall I go up? And he said, Unto Hebron. So David went up thither, and his two wives also, Ahinoam the Jezreelitess, and Abigail Nabal’s wife the Carmelite. And his men that were with him did David bring up, every man with his household: and they dwelt in the cities of Hebron. And the men of Judah came, and there they anointed David king over the house of Judah. And they told David, saying, That the men of Jabeshgilead were they that buried Saul.
From leading about 600 men to several thousands of men.
From leading people who were distressed and debtors; to leading the notable tribe of Judah.
From an ordinary leader to an anointed king.
– There is someone here; God will upgrade your life from leading to reigning.
Many benefits accorded to a ruler than leader. People don’t challenge the ruler anyhow.
– You have been leading before; you will start reigning from now.
– God actually upgrade David’s life from living in caves to the palace. There is someone here, where you are now is a glorified cave, God says where He is taking you to is a palace. May you get there in Jesus name.
For the next 6 years or so, the house of Saul and the house of David engaged in different battles. Though Israel was more than Judah, God systematically weakened the house of Saul overtime and strengthened the house of David.
Eventually, all the elders of 11 tribes of Israel came to David in Hebron and asked him to rule over them (2 Sam. 5:1-3). Another amazing upgrade!
2 Samuel 5:1-3
Then came all the tribes of Israel to David unto Hebron, and spake, saying, Behold, we are thy bone and thy flesh. Also in time past, when Saul was king over us, thou wast he that leddest out and broughtest in Israel: and the Lord said to thee, Thou shalt feed my people Israel, and thou shalt be a captain over Israel. So all the elders of Israel came to the king to Hebron; and King David made a league with them in Hebron before the Lord: and they anointed David king over Israel.
– May Jehovah weaken every opposition to your elevation in Jesus name.
– There is someone here; God will use those you have never thought of to effect your next upgrade.
– To another person, you have fought continuously to get to where you are, God says you are now entering into your season of rest.
Joseph’s life also follows a pattern of upgrade. He was hated by his brothers who had planned to kill him; they later sold him into slavery, which was in a way, an upgrade to his life. Sentence of death change to sentence of slavery!
– If you are here and people or spirits have conspired to waste your life; they have failed. You will always escape their snares in Jesus name.
When Joseph got to Egypt, instead of been a slave to just anybody, he became a slave to Potiphar who was the commander of the king’s guards.
Even when he was thrown into jail, his jail masters were not anybody, but principal officers to the king.
When Joseph was to come out of prison, it was to stand before Pharaoh as an adviser. And from an adviser to the king, he was upgraded to the Prime Minister of Egypt.
– May God that progressed the value to Joseph do so for you in Jesus name.
– May the curve of your life proceeds upwards and terminates at the top in Jesus name.
– Your yesterday shall not be better than today. As sweet as your today will be, may it not be sweeter than your tomorrow.
– May the sequential pattern of your life attest to the power of God.
Talking about a life that enjoyed upgrade, one must mention Mephibosheth. When Saul and his sons were killed in battle, the nurse of Mephibosheth (Saul’s grandson) was escaping with him on a horse and the boy fell, so that he became lame on both feet.
He then started to hide in a downtown location and living in squalor. As time went on, David remembered his vow to Jonathan his friend, and sought to be a blessing to anyone remaining in the house of Saul. Then the name of a Mephibosheth came up.
David brought him into his palace; made him one of the princes; apportioned a prince daily ration to him; and asked him to seat on his table. What an amazing upgrade!
– There is someone here; God will put you into a standard several times higher than where you are now.
– Another person, God says you were a prince before, He says, I will turn you into one again.
Criteria for amazing upgrade
Be devoted to God – David was in the field. Personal intimacy with Him, commitment to His service. – Kneel before God, so that you will not kneel before men.
Be faithful in small things. David was faithful with sheep, 600 men, Judah, and then Israel.
Be patient. David was patient, though also anointed, and did not haste the transition. Killed the person that says fastrack Saul’s death.
Always ask God for your next move. David asked God even after Saul had died where to go. If he had gone to another location, the men of Judah may not have come to him.
Persevere in trial or waiting. David went through a lot, but waited.
Be sensitive to time and seasons. For as long as Saul was on the throne, David was hiding, but when he heard that he’s dead, he sensed a new season has come.
Father, let the life I live bring glory and honour to you.
Father, make me a living testament of your goodness.
The sermon, May God Upgrade Your Life In An Amazing Way, by Pastor Samuel Obafaiye, was delivered on April 9th 2017